Barcelona highlights – Photo Friday
There is so much to see and do in Barcelona and for anyone that loves to take photographs while visiting, it’s a dream destination to visit this city and capture some amazing pictures. Whether you are walking in any of the elegant neighborhoods, visiting a museum, garden or even sampling some delicious tapas or local cuisine, there is so much to experience in this lively city. Every district in the city is easily accessible by metro or bus, but it’s easier walking around the various attractions, or focus on a key site you want to visit. It’s easy to wander and get distracted by all the visuals, but keep your eyes open to interesting compositions, angles or personal stories that show itself well in a photograph. This is a wonderful city to experience and experiment with your photography and different techniques.
Top places to visit for photography
Here are some photography thoughts and places to keep in mind when visiting Barcelona;
1. Try to go to a high vantage point like Montjuic hill so you can get complete panoramic views of the entire city from the hillsides down to the ocean
2. Make sure that you try to visit some of the local specialty or farmers markets in town, the most well-known being La Boqueria on the famous Las Ramblas strip.
3. If your also into food, try some of the local cuisine, or the tapas at any of the many tapas bars. It’s great to photograph the local food, people and lifestyle enjoying the dining scene. (Do be conscious of either asking people for a photo or take broad shots so it doesn’t create any disturbance)
4. Barcelona is a perfect spot to do any urban or street photography, take the time to sit in a plaza or cafe and do some candid shots of things that attract your attention or capture some of the fun gritty, urban scenes you happen to come across.
5. There are many architectural buildings created by famous local architects like Gaudi, take the time to visit some of his architectural wonders like Sagrada Familia or Casa Mila in the Gracia area. It’s fun to get immersed into the design and creative elements of a city like Barcelona by walking though some of Barcelona’s main thoroughfares.
6. Barcelona parks, botanical gardens and green belts are great for nature, landscape and plant studies, there are so many beautiful parks with monuments worth visiting and capturing while touring around. Many of these parks are on located on hill tops like Park Guell, which offers beautiful vistas to the city and some of its famous monuments.
7. Walk the older districts of the city like the gothic quarter, El Born or El Ribera districts to see some of the historic Roman to medieval details that you will definitely want to photography. These have interesting trendy shops that add a different vibe to the ‘Old World’ charm.
8. The beach scene is happening and very accessible from the center. Also close by is the harbor and al-fresco dining with many seafood restaurants, this is a great area for people watching and capturing some lifestyle imagery.
9 There’s so much to check out walking down Las Ramblas, an expansive street worth walking down the entire length and taking some photographs of street scenes, the street performers or the early morning flower and bird markets.
10. Walking down the fashionable Gracia district will give you an opportunity to photograph the old and new in terms of neighborhoods, street scenes and fashion, architecture and trendy boutiques and window displays all worth visiting and finding some scenes to capture.
Here are some of my photo captures of gorgeous Barcelona and photographing from different vantage points around the city.
Barcelona is more than the attractions, architecture and the food that gives the city so much flavor and character. What makes this city so exciting and alive is the cosmopolitan lifestyle, diverse culture and mediterranean way of living that is so wonderful to enjoy and experience. If you would like to see more photos of Barcelona and some of the key monuments, architecture and attractions, please visit my Flickr website. Also, check out this one week in Barcelona itinerary for more inspiration and what to do in this fabulous city.
If you enjoyed this post, check out these other Barcelona posts below
If you enjoyed this post on Barcelona Highlights – Photo Friday, please subscribe to my updates below and share the post with any of the social media buttons around the post. I appreciate your visiting today.